Monday, March 29, 2010

I feel really lame for not settling in to do homework until now. Once the sun goes down, I have less motivation to do work, and I the pressure to get it done within a reasonable amount of time is higher. But today is Monday, and on Mondays, I have class from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM. Not back-to-back, but four classes with less than an hour break between any of them. It's exhausting, so by the time I get home a little after 6:00, I can't bring myself to do homework until I crash for a while.

Today, I turned in the rough draft of my creative non-fiction essay for my creative writing class. I really didn't feel very confident about it. I started out with one idea, and by the time I finished the draft last night I had totally changed directions. In hindsight, I'm not sure if it was the best idea. But the final draft is due Wednesday, and I don't have the energy to start from scratch, or to completely re-do the work I've done so far; also, I think it's just good practice to get in the habit of following through with my writing projects, even if I don't end up liking them very much.

I was up until 2:00 this morning finishing it. I called Jordan right before I went to sleep, because he was still up writing a paper, too.

"Jordan," I said, "I'm already getting burnt out from writing. I feel like this shouldn't be this hard, and it makes me feel like a bad writer."
"That's just because you don't have a lot of practice at it yet." Jordan often jokes that I lack an "inner logician", that voice inside my head that supplies me with logic and common sense. So, I've decided that Jordan is my logician. And I knew he was right. But I jokingly replied,
"I give up. I'm going to switch my major to art." Of course, I'm already so behind on my major as it is that switching is not an option. I'm going to be in school forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment