Thursday, November 19, 2009

School Thoughts

This week has left me very scatter-brained so far, and I doubt it will end any time soon.

I've been thinking a lot about my major, and what direction I want to go in school. For the past year and a half I have felt very aimless, and I haven't really come across anything that I've felt passionate about, and actually excited about pursuing. Until now.

I guess I've been thinking about journalism for a few months, really; I remember the thought floating around in my head a bit over the summer, as I considered my interest in writing and telling stories about real people. This semester I've had more conversations about it with Dr. Vincent, other students, and just time to think about it myself, and it's beginning to solidify as something I think I'd actually like to do.

What got it started was my involvement in "The Dining Room". Since I was in the play, I was exempt from writing a Torrey paper this semester; in lieu of that, Dr. Vincent said she'd have me write a short reflection about my experience in the play, to have something besides everyday assignments to hone my writing a bit.

In a later meeting with Dr. Vincent, she told me that she had been thinking about my interest in theatre, and reflective art, and things like This American Life, and suggested that I think about journalism as a possible major choice. It seemed like a good fit.

Well, I have been thinking about it, and while I've wavered between English and Journalism a bit, the more I think about it the more journalism does seem like a good fit. At the moment, I'm thinking that a journalism major plus an English minor would be a good combination. That way, I could incorporate creative writing and literary analysis into journalism, because I think that journalism would enable me to more actively pursue what I'd like to do. I'd learn how to research topics and put together stories, as well as have the opportunity to publish articles or do editorial work, which would be great experience for future jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment