Friday, July 9, 2010

Yesterday was the busiest day I've/we've had in a while.

We got up, had some breakfast, and then I went through all of our cards from the wedding and organized the money, checks and gift cards people had sent to us. And then, it was errand time.

First we went to get me new tires for my car. Somehow my old tires had been messed up by tar; not sure if it's just because I've had them for three years, or if I accidentally drove on the not-yet-dry pavement when they were re-paving the apartment complex. It wasn't my fault - they usually had it blocked off by cones or caution tape, but for some reason it had been taken down, or maybe knocked down by another carless driver.

Next we stopped by my old work, Hobby Lobby, and I got a W2 request form. Apparently I never got one, or it never got logged, last year, and I need one for taxes and records.

Then we went to Target. We returned a few duplicates from our registry (still don't know how that happened; that's what a registry's for, right?) and then picked up a few things we need: a mixer, some wine glasses to replace a gift that got broken (also not our fault - Jordan was hand-washing a glass and suddenly it cracked down the side.), and some proper bedding. That last part turned into a bit of a trial. We browsed around the bedding aisles, and I had to call my mom to discern exactly what a "coverlet" is. We got one that we thought we liked, and then when I noticed it was part polyester I got worried that it would be too hot. Jordan found some basic cotton blankets, but they didn't have a very good color selection. We were both getting frustrated, so I took the one we had originally picked out and we headed for the register. Then the woman at the register tells us that "coverlets" are mainly decorative, but I told Jordan to get them anyway because I thought it would be OK.

We headed back to Hobby Lobby to get a specific kind of storage jar Jordan has been wanting to keep his pipe tobacco in, and on the way we talked it over and decided that the "coverlet" wasn't really what we wanted. So, after Hobby Lobby, we went back to Target and found my sister-in-law Nicole, whom we had seen going in as we were leaving. Nicole saved the day; she helped us pick out a nice quilt and gave us great suggestions on color, decorating, and type of pillowcase (go for the cheaper ones, like a jersey, unless you're really concerned about thread count). We left Target a second time feeling much, much better.

On the way home we stopped at the grocery store, and when we got home there was just enough time to put away everything and then Jordan had to run to work. Half an hour after he left, I left for UNM to go to a meeting for an all student-run radio program called Lobo Growl that's getting started. Jon told me about it last week, I emailed the guy in charge, and this was the second official meeting for the program.

There weren't that many people there, and I was the only girl; the student whose putting it all together is actually a PhD student, I think I was one of four undergrads, and then there was one law student/writing instructor as well as one of the managers from the local public radio station, whom we're partnering with to get this off the ground.

I am really excited about this program. I emailed KUNM, the local public radio station, earlier this week to ask about volunteering and internship opportunities, but Lobo Growl seems like exactly what I've been looking for. I may want to do some training with KUNM on the side, if that's possible, while everything's still getting started, but through this program it looks like I'll get experience not only in administrative duties, but also in the technical aspects of radio production and developing an artistic aesthetic. One of our first projects is to answer questions like, what will Lobo Growl offer that no other radio station does? Do we have a particular "sound"? What will our logo look like? What kind of music will we play, and what will our sources of content be?

We have a week to brainstorm, and we're meeting again a week from today.

After that, I went back home to start dinner. Jordan's friend and best man Trevor came over, and we had spaghetti and key lime pie and watched SNL's "The Best of Will Ferrell."

It was a very full day, and very rewarding. As I was reflecting on the day yesterday evening, I thought about how much I cherish these times with Jordan, early in our marriage, when we have entire days to spend together, even if it's just running errands. Doing things with him, my husband, makes menial things into meaningful things, and I am thankful for these special times.

No comments:

Post a Comment