Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I may have just stumbled upon a gem embedded in the invisible inter-weavings of cyber space. Actually, this feels like more of a full-out treasure trove, fantasy pirate-unwitting adventure-surprises around any corner style.

In a Google search for "historical literary podcasts", one that I embarked upon in an attempt to find a good source for background info on what I'm reading for my literature classes, one of the first links that popped up took me here:


It's called "The Writer's Almanac" with Garrison Keillor, the unmistakable host of "A Prarie Home Companion", and it's an online historical, literary archive and weekly newsletter AND podcast (which features Mr. Keillor reporting highlights from this day in history and reading selected poems and other works).

In case you didn't know, I have recently begun shaping a part of who I believe I am going to be; that is, a dedicated fan of podcasting and literary journalism (aka creative nonfiction) and an aspiring writer/journalist/radio personality (dreaming big, here) in that field. It's why I changed my major to English, with an emphasis in creative writing. It's why I kept a blog about "The Dining Room" (see Theatre Thoughts) which I turned into my very first podcast. It's why I have probably close to a hundred episodes from NPR, This American Life and The Moth stored on my iPod.

Needless to say, I am hooked.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, that is so cool!! I didn't know you changed your major, but I'm glad! Where you're headed totally fits with your interests and who you are. I'm happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete