Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Even in Very Little

Why are the things that are best for you always the hardest things to do?

I think I can predict fairly accurately that I'm going to get a B in my gen. ed. astronomy class this semester. And I'm fine with that. B's are frustrating because they're the mediocre grade. You didn't do bad enough to get a C, but you didn't try hard enough to get an A.

Maybe it's a vice, or a blessing, or both, but I have a tiny voice in the back of my head that's always urging me to do more, to do better. Like for this astronomy class, I know I'd get more out of it if I did all of the reading all the time, or if I simply checked often enough so my online homework assignments weren't late, but I've had a lot of trouble disciplining myself this semester.

It's a delicate balance. I used to slave over my Torrey work for hours and hours, until it got to the point in my Freshman spring semester where my mentor asked me, "When was the last time you did something for fun?" and, after an introspective pause, I admitted (somewhat surprising myself), "I don't remember."

From experience I know, it's definitely possible to over work. And often times, it's easy to feel like there are more important things in life than homework, especially homework for a gen. ed. astronomy class. But if I think that way too much, I slip into laziness, because on some level I know that how I do in my gen. ed. astronomy class is just as important as how I do in any class for my major. Integrity and discipline are cultivated, or not cultivated, in many ways and situations. In Luke 16, Jesus says to his disciples,

"One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?" (v. 10-11)
It's strange to think that even in my boring gen. ed. astronomy class, I have an opportunity to be sanctified, and to glorify God in my work and interactions with others. Of course, I know that there really are things more important than gen. ed. astronomy class, and that one must be aware of where to draw the line. I suppose that's where wisdom comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment