Monday, January 11, 2010

Fuuuun.

Maybe stress inspires me to write. I guess it at least kicks me out of the "slouch couch" mode my mind was in a little while ago.

I was online checking up one some school stuff, and I noticed that I had some "late payments" on my account with the University of New Mexico. Let me explain: I had applied a while ago, because I had been in between what I wanted to do about school for a long time, and I still have an account open. Upon calling, I was informed by a bored-sounding (aren't they always bored-sounding? Could the people who work these jobs at least attempt to feign interest to make us lowly callers feel slightly more significant?) woman that none of my payments had been made for the fall semester. Uh-huh. Wait, what? Listen, bored woman, I did not attend UNM in the fall. I had considered it, so I had registered for some classes, but I decided against it and I made sure to inform admissions and other various offices of that decision.

Apparently, there's a rule I wasn't aware of that even if I tell UNM that I'm not attending, and they check it off and tell me that there's nothing else I need to do, I still need to drop the classes I registered for. I have an ugly, sneaking suspicion that this is some kind of common knowledge that I should have acquired by now, being in the middle of my second year of the university world, but it's not. Bored woman referred me to another office to sort this out, and told me that I might have to file an appeal, which could take (here's the fun part) up to four weeks to process.

So I call the second office, and am answered by a woman who (Lord bless her) had a little more human empathy toward my situation. Other than emotional support, however, there wasn't much more she could do for me. She said that I needed to call the office who had referred me to her, and sort it out with them. By this time, the offices were going to close in a matter of minutes, and I was a little too frustrated to call the bored woman again.

I guess I'll be making a bunch of phone calls tomorrow, and hopefully I can sort this out without having to file that appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment